Friday, October 8, 2010

QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS By Eric B. Thomasma


Where do you get your ideas?
Where do you find inspiration?

How do you come up with your characters?

These are some of the questions I get on a regular basis from friends, family and acquaintances when they find out I'm a writer. And yet, every time I'm asked, I find myself searching for the answers. You would think by now that I could have come up with some witty and/or profound answer that both entertains and informs, (after all I am a writer) but sadly that is not the case. I just respond as honestly as I can, and hope that it answers the question.

But, it's not the answers that interest me today, it's the questions and the questioners. Why do people ask these questions? What are they hoping to learn from the answers? Presumably, these questions are asked with the hopes of finding some window into the creative mind. To catch some glimmer of what makes a writer write. But to what end?

Is it simply curiosity? Is the questioner hoping to find some technique that will allow them to also become a writer? Are they trying to gauge the writer's level of sanity? Are they asking because it seems like a good question to be heard asking? Is someone keeping track somewhere of all the answers from all of the writers in order to determine a common psychosis?

I don't know, maybe the next time I answer one of these common questions, I will be quick enough to ask them why they asked...but probably not!

But, I would like to know the answer.

Eric B. Thomasma was born and raised in West Mitten USA. He still lives in the area with his wife of 33 years, Therese, and together they raised two sons, Eric Jr. & Nicholas. Eric spent most of his adult life working as an electrician and service technician in the telecommunications industry, with side interests in computers and video production. Eric has written and self published two novels, SEAMS 16: A New Home and SEAMS 16: Arrival, and a children's story Sam And The Dragon. His latest novel, And So It Begins, is currently being considered by literary agents. You can learn more about Eric and his writing at his website http://ericbt.webs.com and you can follow his daily alliterations on twitter @seams16

3 comments:

  1. I get these questions all of the time. Sometimes I tell people that the ideas are part of my 'Twisted' psyche and other times I tell them I have an 'idea' jar that I keep in the corner of my closet! The very best answer I have ever gotten to this question was during an interview where author Robert Crull simply stated..." Sometimes I just pull them right out of my #@*" I think that about sums it up. Wonderful post Eric...thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric - Great post! I guess we all get similar questions thrown at us.
    I tell them the truth about new character creation. That my protagonist goes through life the same as I do, he meets new people all the time, and when he does..Poof! Out of thin air we have a new character. Then comes the fun part. Developing that character into whatever I want at the moment.
    I usually finish my answer with an offer to put the person who asked the question in my next novel.

    Again, Nice job, Eric!

    Michael Balkind
    Sudden Death
    Dead Ball

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Eric! As far as I'm concerned, I get my ideas and inspiration at Costco. They're a lot cheaper when you get them in bulk and work just as well as those you might buy in specialty shops somewhere. :)

    Claude Bouchard

    ReplyDelete